Support is essential
We need you – GET INVOLVED!
Fishing is one of the oldest industries in Worthing. Yet, nobody has yet recorded or preserved the history of this once thriving trade which gives the Last Fisherman Standing the opportunity to get as many people on board as we can to make sure our fishermen’s tales, their passion and knowledge about life at sea doesn’t disappear. We Are FoodPioneers CIC are always looking for enthusiastic individuals to become part of our team to support The Last Fisherman Standing project in Worthing.
As well as gaining valuable insights into the local fishing heritage along the South Coast you will help to enable the history of our fishing families in Worthing to be preserved and shared for future generations. Being a volunteer provides an opportunity to develop new skills, make new friends, contribute to our town’s living history and most importantly have fun!
AS A VOLUNTEER YOU CAN GET INVOLVED IN:
- Face-to-face interviews with local fishermen
- Research into local fisheries heritage at Worthing libraries and online
- Monthly heritage fish cookery events – either leading sessions if you’re already a fish cookery expert or participating in them
- Managing and updating the content of this wonderful website as a rich resource for locals and visitors keen to learn not just about small scale fisheries and how to support them
- Helping at events eg. film screenings, and a pop up fish market in summer 2017 • An introduction to fishing boat building and net mending
- Talks and walks across town tracing Worthing’s fishing families and their heritage
AS A VOLUNTEER FOR THE LAST FISHERMAN STANDING PROJECT YOU CAN EXPECT TO RECEIVE:
- An opportunity to develop skills and knowledge
- Ongoing support and training
- An opportunity to play an important role in Worthing’s heritage • Great opportunity to meet new people
- Approved out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed
Want to volunteer?